Cycling has suddenly become cool in a big way as we navigate the pandemic. A healthy and low-impact exercise that people of all ages can enjoy, biking has emerged as a favorite way of transportation, especially during the community quarantine days, when significant transportations are not allowed to operate. Many communities have also allocated bike lanes for those who prefer to pedal their way around the city.
The good news is that The SM Store now has cool gear for bike enthusiasts in its Men’s Accessories Department. These include bikes and safety helmets, multi-purpose masks, gloves, repair kits, lights, bags, and cargo nets to keep us safe and stylish on the road.
There are Mountain Bikes designed for off-road cycling – mountain trails, single track, fire roads, and other unpaved surfaces and lightweight and sportive Road Bikes built for traveling at speed on paved roads. Bike enthusiasts will also enjoy trying out Gravel/Adventure bikes, Utility bikes, E-bikes, Triathlon bikes, Tandem bikes, Park bikes, and Kids bikes.
Urban planner, cycling advocate, and founder of active transport advocacy group MNL Moves, Aldrin Pelicano shares with us tips to anyone before going on a ride or who wants to give biking a start. Here are his must-haves:
- Helmets. “Investing in a good helmet is always worth it,” says Aldrin. “When choosing a helmet, always look for the Consumer Product Safety Committee (CPSC) sticker inside. This ensures you’ll be offered a high level of protection if you do end up in a crash.”
- Bike Lights. It is essential to see and be seen when you’re out on the road, and Aldrin advises us to “choose a white bike light in front and red bike light for the back. High visibility (hi-viz) clothes or vest and straps can also help for you to be visible especially in low-light conditions or at night.”
- Repair Kits. “Don’t go out on a ride, whether short or long, without your tool kit,” says Aldrin. “A good kit should include spare tube/s and/or patch kit, pump, tire levers, and cycling multi-tool.”
- A Bike bag – “It’s a good idea to bring essentials like IDs, money, mask, face shield (if you will go to an indoor place, closed venue), food and water,” says Aldrin. And find yourself a good bag for all your stuff.
- A Water bottle – “If your bike has eyelets,” says Aldrin.” it would be good to get a bottle cage so you can bring water bottles for hydration.”
- Wear as you ride – How do you dress the part? Some advice from Aldrin: “You don’t have to wear cycling jerseys to make trips on a bicycle. As long as it’s comfortable and will help you ride safely, any clothes should do it. Also, “don’t underestimate the sun, so it’s also good to wear some protection like arm sleeves and sunglasses.”
Bike lovers and enthusiasts, like Aldrin, can visit The SM Store Men’s Accessories Department to check out their latest bike collections, as well as accessories, safety kits and gears, and other must-haves that can be used while going on a ride.
You can also check out these collections and other more fashion finds online at https://bit.ly/3Eyi50K and chat and shop at m.me/SMFashionMen
This bike collection is all available at The SM Store Men’s Fashion Accessories Department.